Monday, November 5, 2007

Diaper Duty

Hi, mamas! Maureen kindly invited me to join the group, even though I won't be a full-fledged member until our first born arrives in May. I love seeing the pictures of your little ones and am very excited to be part of the group.

I was wondering if I could hear your thoughts about cloth vs. paper diapers. Obviously, it's way too early to be thinking about this, but instead of diligently completing my work project today, I am obsessing over diaper materials! So, it is time to consult the experts. The idealist in me is flirting with the idea of cloth diapers, although the realist thinks I'm out of my mind. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

heathergothitched said...

Hi Ann! Congrats! We used both for my first child, Bella. When we were at home, we used the cloth, but when we were out, used the disposables. I don't think I could ever do it again because it is too much work, but it was nice because my mom did all the "poopy" diapers, including discarding the crap and washing (by hand - ewwww!) before throwing it in the washer. They say that it's not necessarily "greener" to go with cloth because you have to run the washing machines and use lots of water. But I did stumble across "g" diapers which are reusable outer parts with velcro and the inner lining is biodegradable. You have to get used to opening up the soiled liner and "swishing" it in the toilet before flushing. Just a thought!

Love always,
Heather

Ann Carlson said...

Hi, Heather! Does your mom make house calls, and how much does she charge? ;-)

Thank you for your thoughts! Those are important factors to consider. Trying both sounds like a good option to start with so we can see just how dedicated to this whole project we are! I will definitely check out those "g" diapers--those sound like a good option (minus the swishing, of course).

Ann