Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Boast Post

I hope this isn't too unseemly, but I would like to share my excitement about a couple of new things Maya's been doing. Lately I'm just really proud of her for becoming such a big girl who can do all sorts of things! It's been so fun to watch---but also a bit bittersweet, because I'm alarmed at how quickly she's growing up. It's like everything just accelerated once she turned one year old.

Anyway, Seth successfully taught Maya to eat cereal and milk from a bowl, with a spoon! The two of them worked on it and worked on it for about two weeks, and now Maya eats cereal like a pro! Similarly, tonight at dinner she was scooping couscous onto her fork and bringing it to her mouth like it was no big deal. I was so impressed! Just last week she was smearing couscous around on her highchair tray with her fingers. (Yes, we eat a lot of couscous.)

Maya has also graduated to a big-girl cup for her daytime milk. She'd been using those disposable plastic cups with the removable lids, but this week she's started using an insulated tumbler-type cup. (Unfortunately it's plastered with The Little Mermaid characters. My choices were Ariel, Cars [the animated movie, not the eighties band], or Dora. There wasn't a plain-colored cup in sight.) She looooves the cup and is drinking more milk now.

Finally, Maya is singing like you wouldn't believe! And honestly, the girl stays on pitch better than I do. She sings snippets of Twinkle, Twinkle; Row, Row, Row Your Boat; Bringing Home My Baby Bumblebee; and three songs from her Laurie Berkner Band CD (thanks, April!). It's really, really fun to see her enjoying music so much.

OK, that's it. Just wanted to share my excitement...

Feel free to write a Boast Post of your own! I love hearing what everybody else's kids are up to.

-Maureen

2 comments:

heathergothitched said...

Congratulations to the whole family! It is truly amazing seeing this little baby morph into an amazing person! Bella (now 3) still has trouble eating cereal with her spoon and spills from time to time, but that's probably because she's preoccupied with TV! Yes, yes, I am a baaaad mother and my kid watches waaaaay too much tv - but that's a completely different topic for a future date...

Let's see, my time to Boast...

Bella turned 3 on Saturday, the 15th, and it was such an emotional day for me. I cried about EVERYTHING! She was so big and grown-up and mature and said so many amazing things, etc. that it really blew me away. It's almost overnight that she became a big kid. I mourned the "loss" of my baby but also rejoiced at the thought of her becoming so independent... I mean, just the other day, it seems, she was sucking on my breasts looking up at me, and now she is drinking from a cup and absolutely refuses even "tasting" my boobies! Okay, you guys must think I'm gross, but I've heard that lots of kids (myself included) are curious about mother's milk and especially even jealous when the baby drinks it. In fact, when my sister was born, she was put on formula because I forced my mom to breastfeed me! (Okay, now I'm completely off topic...)

Bella is so sweet with her brother and always kisses him and calls him "cutie pie" and just basically acts very "motherly" around him. She even offered to nurse him last week! It was beyond cute seeing her lift up her shirt to offer him her non-existant boobs.

Now, to Harrison, who is 5 months old... Gosh, time flies! He is almost sitting on his own, laughs at everything, tries to "stand" up, kicks like crazy, and is basically just a laid back baby. In fact, his middle name literally means "everything is a-o-k and I'm just cool" so he really is like that! Amazing! (But he is also spoiled and likes to be held all day long!) He can roll all over the floor and props himself up to see what's going on around him. He is super interested in eating solids, although I want to hold off for as long as possible. Every time we eat around him, he gets all excited and starts trembling and tries to "grab" the food and put it to his mouth. It is truly worth seeing! (Maureen and Eileen, I'll show you next week at our playdate.) He is so funny!

Last, but not least, let me tell you about Matthew, my hottie husband... He always helps me out tremendously with everything. This week, he helped assemble invitations, fixed the computer, downloaded the printer thing because I lost it, fixed my flat tire, let me sleep in way past his going to work time, got dinner ready, and got up with the baby. Basically, it is just like any other day and nothing truly special, but he is wonderful and I love telling him and others about how much I appreciate his wonderfullness. He is such a "perfect" person, and I am always telling people, without hesitation, that he is the better parent and is better than most couples combined! (And it doesn't hurt that he is a complete hottie!) Did I mention that he is a stud? Oh, I think I did... Enough about my husband - for now!

To those who read this entire post, my hats off to you! This is my first post and I am happy to be part of Coast-to-Coast Mamas. Thanks Maureen for the invite.

Love always,
Heather

Unknown said...

Maureen,

You better tell Seth to get writing cause I would like to move back out to LA to drive his/your limo once he makes it big time and I can only stand Fort Myers for so much longer.

Michael