Sunday, September 9, 2007

Reasons not to freak out

Eileen,
There are plenty of things that suck about returning to work, definitely. But it doesn't all suck, in my opinion. Here are some things that I personally like about working (part-time, as you know). Maybe you will find some of these to be true for yourself, too!

-At the office, I can pee in peace and privacy (feels so luxurious)
-While working I'm less likely to obsess over Maya's health and well-being than when I'm at home watching her every move
-Interaction with a diverse mix of other adults
-The commute, believe it or not. It's 40 minutes to myself that I appreciate because it gives me some "alone time" to think, talk on the phone, listen to talk radio, etc.
-Having a whole hour to leisurely eat lunch, by myself if I want!
-Or, some days, having a whole lunch hour to run the kinds of errands that are difficult to run with Maya in tow
-Feeling like I still have one foot in the professional world
-Solving business-related problems, enjoying professional achievements
-Really, really savoring the time I have with Maya when I get home in the evenings---even if she's a cranky mess, I'm so thrilled to see her that the crankiness just rolls off me (not so on the days I'm home with her, when the crankiness can really wear me down)

Having typed all of that, however, I don't think I would necessarily keep working if Seth were to sell a screenplay for bunches of dollars, or if we won the lottery or something. I'm pretty sure I would want to try staying at home with Maya, see how it goes...

But enough about me! Best of luck to you on the job search! Keep us posted.

1 comment:

similarcreatures said...

Thanks Maureen,
Yea, I think having one foot in the professional world will be good- to tell the truth, not working is pretty weird for me- and I think that you have a very good point about missing your daughter in the day and therefor cherishing the time you have with her.
(deep breath) thanks!