Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Debbie Downer

Hi there, C2CMs. This might not be the happiest way to kick off a brand-new blog, but I wanted to post this because it seems pretty important. Last week I read this Salon.com article about a "hormone disrupting" chemical found in polycarbonate baby bottles (and other polycarbonate products), and I've been a little freaked out ever since. I've had Maya on Dr. Brown's bottles forever, and they're made of polycarbonate.
The science behind the Salon report is controversial, apparently, and there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement among various experts about how potentially dangerous the chemical (bisphenol-A) is. However, I ended up ordering new, glass bottles for Maya anyway from a company called Born Free. They should be arriving soon.
What kills me is that when I googled "bisphenol-A" after reading the Salon piece, I found all sorts of articles from the media on this subject dating back to 1999. So, has everyone else known about this issue for years? Where have I been?
-Maureen

1 comment:

similarcreatures said...

yikes! I guess I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow to buy glass bottles- how horrible! I didn't know either.