Thursday, August 9, 2007

Re: Debbie Downer

I was suprised like you about this issue. I learned about it 2 years ago...a long time in my opinion from 1999. The Fire Marshall at UCLA gave me an article because he knew I had a baby...well at the time she was no longer taking a bottle and I was freaked out about the time that she had...it is important to note that it is not just bottles but sippy cups as well, anything made of plastic including containers we might drink out of. I can't remember all the details of the article but what I do remember is that the risk is less if the plastic is not worn and in good condition since the chemical is released as a part of the plastic breaking down and that colored plastics are not part of the issue? it is just the clear ones please correct me if I am wrong....the process it takes to make plastic clear is the problem -- also some clear plastics are not made with the chemical so you may want to look at your brand and see before you buy and replace. I read something recently that warned against microwaving food in plastic containers or covered with plastic wrap because chemicals are released from the plastic into our food. I now heat everything in my own ceramic dishes with a papertowel covering to avoid splatter.
-April

3 comments:

Mo said...

Hi April! There was yet another story about this recently in the LA Times. I'll find it and post it. That's a good point about some sippy cups being made of that same plastic. I'm feeling pretty upset about this. I mean, Maya's been drinking out of polycarbonate cups AND bottles for most of her little life. I'm trying not to panic, but you know me: I panic.
Was Sophia on Dr. B's bottles, too?

EricaMartin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EricaMartin said...

My colleague and I did a little research and found a lot of helpful information at National Geographic's Green Guide, located here: http://www.thegreenguide.com

Articles include Plastics to Avoid & Shopper's Guide to Plastics and Food.